Army Dustoff MEDEVAC helicopter crews have been performing stellar work in Afghanistan. When troops are wounded, the Dustoffs go into hostile territory often while taking ground fire. Most interesting: they go in unarmed.
The helicopters are emblazoned with the Red Cross, and so according to the Geneva Conventions they are not allowed to carry offensive weapons. Just what constitutes an offensive weapon is another line of discussion, but the bottom line is that Dustoffs do not carry machine guns.
More interesting is that the Red Cross is one of the symbols used in the Crusades. After years of throwing around the COIN acronym while pretending we have learned something about Counterinsurgency, we still fly around Afghanistan in CrusaderCopters.
- happinessonhiatus likes this
- ah-geoff reblogged this from alwaysmilitary
- t-nightingale likes this
- princesssannie reblogged this from jayyonfire
- jayyonfire reblogged this from alwaysmilitary
- alwaysmilitary reblogged this from lennyn6st
- mr-medic-man reblogged this from lennyn6st
- mr-medic-man likes this
- jsmigs43 reblogged this from lennyn6st
- bringiton911 likes this
- youareclearedhot-over reblogged this from lennyn6st
- perfectingthepretence reblogged this from lennyn6st
- young-skyballer reblogged this from lennyn6st
- animalm0ther reblogged this from lennyn6st
- hooahanderson likes this
- psalmbadillo likes this
- lennyn6st posted this